Dielectric materials possessing quasi-permanent electrical charge or dipole polarisation are known as electrets. Electrets can generate electrostatic fields in a similar way permanent magnets create magnetic field. The quasi-permanent storage of electrical charge in electrets involves a wide range of natural and synthetic materials. Various types and forms of materials can store charge and become electrets. Examples include organic, inorganic, hybrid, powder, thin films, thick films, bulk, porous, colloids, printing inks, nanomaterials, biomaterials and so on.
Electrets and related phenomena are at the frontier of both fundamental scientific and technological interest. The advent of additive manufacturing also opens up new challenges in this field, which can aid solving many process-related challenges and bring about new ways of manufacturing. The huge success of the applications of electrets in electret microphones, copy machines, inkjet printers, dust collections, electrostatic lens, radiation measurements can expand on novel applications in energy harvesting, bioelectrical stimulation, new sensors and actuators, device and components and characterisation techniques
International Symposium on Electrets (ISE)
The IEEE International Symposium on Electrets is the premier conference for the IEEE on electrets It is sponsored by the IEEE Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation Society and used to be held every three years in locations around the world. Due to growing interest and demand in both academia and industry, the conference is now organised biannually.
ISE is a unique meeting opportunity for scientists and engineers from all over the world working in the field of electrical engineering, manufacturing and process engineering, materials science and engineering, condensed matter physics and chemistry. It provides a platform for interdisciplinary discussions, debate and dialogues on recent advances in research, development and applications. It brings together world-leading experts in this field and provides a forum for in-depth engagement and discussions between the most experienced and established scientists, engineers and young researchers.
The ISE 2019 in Limerick, Ireland also provide a forum for a growing community of young researchers to be better informed of Ireland’s burgeoning field of advanced manufacturing where the knowledge and applications of electrets can contribute. Such interactions can bring mutual benefits in terms of innovation, employment and new business.
The papers, presentations, and events at the conference are focused on contributions to nurture, cultivate, enhance and accelerate the adoption of electret phenomena for the benefit of society. In the past years, the field of electrets has expanded to attract attention from scientists and technologists from diverse disciplines. The ISE 2019 captures this diverse multidisciplinary interest in electrets and related phenomena and brings the latest from the research and academic community. It includes a broad program of papers and presentations on the latest developments and innovations in the many fields in which electrets are relevant. The conference program includes carefully selected technical papers, tutorials and workshops, industry forum and young researchers’ forum to advance understanding, implementation and applications of electrets.
• 16th International Symposium on Electrets (ISE 16) 4-7 September 2017, Leuven, Belgium
• 15th International Symposium on Electrets (ISE 15) 10-13 August 2014, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
• 14th International Symposium on Electrets (ISE 14) 27-31 August 2011, Montpellier, France
• 13th International Symposium on Electrets (ISE 13) 15-17 September 2008, Tokyo, Japan
• 12th International Symposium on Electrets (ISE 12) 11-14 September 2005, Salvador, Brazil
• 11th International Symposium on Electrets (ISE 11) 01-03 October 2002, Melbourne, Australia
• 10th International Symposium on Electrets (ISE 10) 22-24 September 1999, Delphi, Greece
• 9th International Symposium on Electrets (ISE 9) 25-30 September 1996, Shanghai, China
• 8th International Symposium on Electrets (ISE 8) 07-09 September 1994, Paris, France
• 7th International Symposium on Electrets (ISE 7) 25-27 September 1991, Berlin, Germany
• 6th International Symposium on Electrets (ISE 6) 01-03 September 1988, Oxford, United Kingdom
• 5th International Symposium on Electrets (ISE 5) 04-06 September 1985, Heidelberg, Germany
• Charge, Storage, Charge Transport and Electrostatics with Applications 08-12 October 1978, Tokyo, Japan
• International Symposium on Electrets and Dielectrics 01-06 September 1975, São Carlos, Brazil
• Electrets, Charge, Storage & Transport in Dielectrics 08-13 October 1972, Miami, USA
• Electrical & Related Electrostatic Charge Storage Phenomena 15-20 October 1967, Chicago, USA